Pumpkin Unit

Wow!  We had an amazing 2 weeks of our pumpkin unit!  I used several fiction and informational texts to study all about pumpkins.  First, we learned about the parts of a pumpkin.  I have to give credit to First Grade Blue Skies.  Then, we learned all about the pumpkin life cycle.  Of course, we had to read The Legend of Spookley, the Square Pumpkin and How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin.  The students got to chose if they wanted to be in the Twos, Fives, or Tens Counting Club.  This was a great activity because they were enhancing their speaking and listening skills while convincing the others to be a part of the club they were thinking about.  After they decided which club they would count the seeds by, we pulled out the guts from the pumpkin!  Honestly, I thought I was going to have this huge mess, but my students were awesome!  My little firsties handled it so well!

As a culminating activity, we had Snoopy's Scoop and Shake.  Parents donated items like popcorn, skittles, M & Ms, marshmallows, sugar, goldfish, Oreos, ... The students placed their choice of snack in a lunch bag and shook it.  They enjoyed a delicious popcorn trail mix snack with some of Lucy's Lemonade.  We watched the movie It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown while they ate their snack.

This is my second year of doing this activity and I just fall in love with it more and more each year!  I didn't get to create my own TpT pumpkin products, so I used some freebies that I found.  I would like to thank those TpTers for their goodies!






2 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen for always supporting me! You are such an inspiration!! Keep up the good work!

      Delete